- B.S. – Criminal Justice; Psychology (magna cum laude), Florida A&M University
- M.S.– Applied Social Science, Florida A&M University
- Ph.D.(in progress) – Gender Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago
I am not a teacher, but an awakener. – Robert Frost
For the past seven years, I have diligently pursued the mantra, “Aspire to Inspire before you Expire.” As an advocate for educational equity and access, my mantra has been crystallized via my roles as a college instructor, academic advisor, and pre-college advisor/intervention specialist. To promote education as access to one’s aspirations, my experience entails: developing quality and relevant curriculum to meet the needs of diverse learners; assisting in the development and implementation of programming (pre-college/collegiate) that addresses academic competencies and/or deficiencies, as well as, the social, and personal barriers of first-generation, low-income students; cultivating and developing initiatives that create and foster a positive self-concept, utilizing the arts (dance) to create an appreciation for culture and diversity; empowering students to become more cognizant of their role as stakeholders at academic institutions (student government/student leaders), and most importantly, advising students on how to turn a liability into an asset.
Also, during my tenure as an instructor and advisor, I served on several committees to address strategic planning for retention and graduation outcomes; academic advising; outreach and student engagement; meeting the needs of academically advanced students; developing scholar identities for underachieving students; and program evaluation.
While my vision is to develop a model of equity, access, and excellence in education; my daily mission is to empower students to escape their limitations, to move through each day with a sense of urgent purpose, and to build a legacy that will inspire generations to come.
Areas of Responsibility
- Recruiter (Upward Bound) – Washington High School
- Advisor – Rising Seniors (Juniors) and Senior Class participants (Upward Bound)
- Advisor – Freshmen & Sophomore participants (Talent Search - Clay High School)
- Editorial Liaison (District 2) – Indiana TRiO
- Father Ted’s 5k & 10k
- Upward Bound Summer Academy
- Student-Parent Leadership Conference
- Social & cultural events/activities
- Departmental marketing (website, social media)
- Former Member – National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
- Interim Chair – St. Joseph County College Success Coalition (SJC-CSC)
- Member – Educational Opportunity Association (EOA)
- Board Member – Indiana TRiO
- Member – Indiana Student Financial Aid Association
- Adult Mentor - South Bend Youth Task Force
- Gender Studies
- Urban Higher Education (Access/Equity)
- Positive Psychology
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Equity & Access
Laughter; running; dancing; reading; yoga; writing; traveling; spending time with family and friends; allowing the universe to craft me into my best self; and being the white rose in a vase of reds.